Low Key and Monochrome Test Shoots 28/10/15

Low Key Tests
The setup that was used to create the soft focus photos
The images above show my first ever attempts at 'low key' lighting. To begin with, I set the camera up with the correct setting (manual mode, shutter speed 1/160 and ISO 100) and set the aperture to a low number to allow plenty of light into the image. Beth was positioned directly in front of the softbox light with a reflector above the camera. The first image shows the overexposure that was created. I turned up the number for the aperture and the second image is showing a better light but is still not in focus completely. The third image's aperture was slightly increased and the final outcome was in focus with the face lit up softly, making the face smooth and the hair lighter. This setup up, I feel, is one of the best for a colour beauty photograph as the natural beauty is enhanced and focused on through the lighting and the washed out background. I plan to use this lighting arrangement for my colour beauty photo.



For the second setup, I had Charlie stand in front of a white background with the softbox facing her behind above the camera and a reflected on the side (to highlight any shadows). The result was a crisp image with her skin perfected. However, it is not as soft and forgiving as the first low key trial. I think the sharp quality of the image would be effective if it were to be transformed into black and white and I want to explore this further for my beauty images. I will either use a light with a beauty dish or softbox to create my black and white image.


These are my favourite images from today's test shoots with the soft box for lighting. It was positioned directly behind Charlie with a light flashing behind as well when the photo was taken. The soft-focus effect through the lighting setup is one I am going to use for my final beauty images but I will most likely take the portrait photos so I can include more of the neck, collarbone and maybe shoulders into the image. As well as that, the portrait space will allow the model to vary their poses more with the upper part of their body - resulting a more striking and professional image.

Monochrome Photos
A task was set to use a direct light on our group members in black & white and see if we could create flattering images. The exercise was fun to explore how contrasting they are compared to the rest of our shoot in the lesson and to see how shadows can be really evident in monochrome images. The clarity this technique leaves the image with is one I would like to use in my monochrome beauty image in my final assessment. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top